RE: General Searching query

Thanks for all of your comments, maybe I should clarify a little.

The current system runs on IE5.5, with all processing performed client-side.
No servers are involved.  At the moment, there are around 10,000 XML files
installed on each of the standalone clients.  This sounds a little strange,
but is set in stone.

The current searching method is to build an index file of all the words in
the transformed HTML, and include that with the product release.  Because
the XML files arent going to change, this method works fine and is very
fast.

Of course, this isnt fully taking advantage of the fact we are using XML.
It would be good to allow name-value searching, utilising the structure of
the XML.

So I would guess from your responses that this is a non-starter, unless the
above changes things...

cheers

andrew