Accessing the Next or Previous Node in the Current node-list

How can I access the next or previous node in the current node-list?

I need to perform special whitespace (e.g.: "output a newline character if
the next element in the node-list is a paragraph") handling based on the
next element which is going to be processed.

FYI, I'm using an <xsl:apply-templates/> instruction with a select attribute
to specifically select the nodes I'm interested in processing (i.e.: current
node-list).

Any help on this is much appreciated.

Regards,
Sasha Haghani.