Re: ***********Transformation of an XML document containing a default namespace ************

>That rather depends upon what your definition of perfectly OK is.
>                                                 ---------
>Sure, it's OK to do it, as the XSLT spec allows it, but perfect?

I thought from the context that it was clear that I meant "perfectly in
accord with the spec" rather than "perfectly in accord with life as it
should be".

Note however you _can_ already in XSLT ensure that any required
namespace nodes are in the result tree, so that you can ensure exactly
the prefixes that you want do appear in namespace declarations.  The
spec _allows_ a system to synthesisse additional namespace declarations
for the same namespaces, but with different prefixes, and to use those
prefixes on elements, but as far as I know no system does this.  XSLt is
I think written so that a conforming system can be implemented over a
very strict xml-namespace parser that _only_ passes on local name and
prefix information in the source tree, so if the original prefixes were
not recorded it would not be pocible to mandate that they were kept.
However it seems that every namespace aware parser api does in fact pass
on prefix info, and all xslt systems use that.

David