Re: ampersand output

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Eric Vitiello wrote:

> I've been following the   thread, and looked up my question in
> the FAQ, but I've been unable to find an answer.
>
> I've also seen some messages with examples of exactly what I'm trying to do, but they aren't working...

[...]

> the problem is the SRC tag.  instead of outputting a & it is outputting &  so the output looks like:

> 		<embed src="/default.asp?person=p1&amp;tree=vitiello" width="600" height="300" type="image/svg+xml"/>

That is correct output.

[...]

> any ideas?

Yes. Leave it alone. It is doing the right thing. It _SHOULD_ put an &amp;
in the URL because the web browser will convert it to a single '&' before
it loads the URL. It would be _wrong_ (and would work unpredictably, if at
all) if you succeeded in getting a solitary '&' output there (which would
be syntactically invalid HTML).

--
Benjamin Franz

 "Code as if whoever maintains your code is a violent
  psychopath who knows where you live."
                    -- Nancy Lebovitz, the button lady