Re: keys and idrefs - XSLT2 request?

>  or at least am only being as barmy as you.

that's not necessarily an achievement to be proud of.

> I wasn't necessarily saying that, I think.
>
> Firstly, there are a few things in the Structures part of XML Schema
> that are useful

Yes, I was being deliberately argumentative. (So unlike me, normally).
Defaulted elements/attributes should I agree be supported, although as
with defaulted attributes in DTDs authors would be wise to take care of
using them.

> By the way, I find your example of xsl:sort a little disconcerting
> because the data-type attribute on xsl:sort is supposed to specify the
> data type, not the data type of the select expression...

er yes, it just came out that way as I typed the message. However given
a set of casting rules/functions it would I think be more natural for
xsl:sort to sort according to the datatype of the expression. (as with
an explicit cast one can be sure all the expressions do have the same
datatype) on the other hand since the data-type attribute exists and
would be kept, this might be seen as an alternative syntax for an
explict cast.

> I was thinking a little bit about the same local casting, but
> to *complex types*. For example:

well yes it's useful, so long as including a full schema engine doesn't
end up causing engine bloat in every XSLT implementation. "just"
supporting primitive types seems like quite a nice thing.

> and they might find the brainstorming so much spam.

I'm sure no one ever considers your messages as spam.
Although I do agree that  having a comments list off to one side
is inconvenient. In the MathML spec we specified that comments go to
www-math list which is the general discussion list for MathML.
Sending comments to a list to which you are not subscribed, and for
which the archives are full of genuine spam, doesn't really give any
confidence that the comments will be seen never mind addressed.

David