Building a partial reference list

Hi

I am working on a project that involves creating HTML of one or two
chapters of a complete book coded in XML. I need to build a subset of the
reference list that only contains those references actually cited in the
chapters we have extracted.

The complete reference list is available in a <citationList> that contains
lots of <citation> elements which have an id attribute. The chapter text
has <cite> elements to indicate citations, and these have the same id value
in an attribute.

Is it possible to create the final reference list, including just one copy
of each cited reference (the reference may well be cited more than once in
the text), in alphabetical order as I am transforming the original XML
document into the extracted chapters?

Chris