Re: Creating Multiple Files from One Input File (fwd)

Betty,

Yes, it would make sense to import the stylesheet you already have into
another that would do the file splitting.

This requirement is high enough on the list for XSLT 2.0, that the
(now-shelved) XSLT 1.1 working draft specifies a syntax for it. Saxon
implements this syntax.

A pure XSLT 1.0 alternative (I think someone mentioned) is to alter the
stylesheet to just pick out a chunk and do that alone; then run the
stylesheet multiple times. This could be parameterized from the command
line or in a batch process. In this case also, the "chunking" stylesheet
can import the one you have to do the whole thing, thus saving lots of work.

Michael mentions several processors with extensions: of course they're
non-standard (including, strictly speaking, Saxon's in the XSLT 1.1
namespace). MSXML doesn't implement one (to my knowledge).

Betty, an implementation of this approach (relying on Saxon) appears in the
Mulberry slideshow distribution: check out
http://www.mulberrytech.com/slideshow.

Cheers,
Wendell