Re: Top Ten Java and XSLT Tips, #5

[Dimitre Novatchev]

> Thomas B. Passin wrote:
>
> > It works fine.  If   doesn't work for some browser, then the main
> > alternative to disable-output-escaping is to declare an entity for
  in
> > the stylesheet.
>
> But how do you define this entity -- as   ? Or as what value???
>
> The former is meaningless, because it has exactly the same effect as using
the
> numerical character reference straight into your code.

Let's not get too picky here!  Some people like to use " " and an
entity is one way to get it.  As you say, there's no difference in the
result.

> This is why I'm quite puzzled -- what other substitute for   are you
using?

> > This is living dangerously, though, because some processors
> > will insist on validating the document if there are any DTD declarations
in
> > it.  This won't work unless you include a DTD for the entire xslt
> > stylesheet - very annoying.  I have this situation using XML Cooktop and
the
> > Microsoft processor.
> >
> > Anyone know what browsers can't understand  ?
>
> Can you point out any browser, which "can't understand  " ?

I can't, someone else made the claim.  Personally, I just use

But it you were using a lot of those special entities, you probably would
want to declare them in a DTD because remembering all those numerical
equivalents would be hard, and the resulting code would be hard to read.

Cheers,

Tom P