http request - unexpected characters after document end

I want to access an x(ht)ml file from a live site using document(). However, no matter what URL I try, I keep getting an error about 'unexpected characters after document end'. Anyone else had this problem?

This is the code I'm using:

<xsl:variable name="httpReq" select="document 'http://www.google.com')" />

<xsl:template match="/">
        <xsl:copy-of select="$httpReq" />
</xsl:template>

Here is the exact error:

Fatal error reported by XML parser: unexpected characters after document end (found "N")
  Line:   2
  Column: 3
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: unexpected characters after document end (found "N"): org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: unexpected characters after document end (found "N"): unexpected characters after document end (found "N")

I am using saxon to process the xsl.

Thanks, Syn-Ti