<xptr> to range of locations

Hiya,

I'm trying to figure out the XSLT for resolving TEI'ish
<xptr>s.  Where the xptr is a simple link to a block of
information in another xml file I have no problem.  I.e.
<xptr type="antiphon" from="ID(c1001)"/>, I can easily
get the right document (based on type), and find
id c1001 (substring-before and substring-after being used
to get just the id number.

1) However, I also have some <xptr>s which are a range, and so
give a from location and a to location.  I.e.:

<xptr type="bible" from="001.003" to="001.006"/>

Assuming the biblical file in question has id numbers
for each chapter and verse that are similar, this would
point to chapter 1, verses 3 - 6 (inclusive).  What
should I be using to get a range like this? (The
book of the bible needed is contained in a wrapping
tag so {../@src}

2) This is further complicated by some references not wanting
complete verses, but start and/or stopping in the middle
of others.  These are currently encoded as:

<xptr type="bible" from="001.009" to="001.010 PATTERN(appellavit maria)"/>

So, this would go from 001.009 (of Genesis Vulgate) to
001.010, but would stop when it matched the pattern
appellavit maria, not the end of the verse.

The next xpointer in the manuscript would go something like:

<xptr type="bible" from="001.010 PATTERN(et vidit deus)" to="001.011"/>

Though I've not come across it yet, presumably there could
be a reference which starts in the middle of one verse and
ends in the middle of another.

Any ideas on how I should be getting the range of verses
and/or the verse starting or stopping with a pattern, would
be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
James Cummings
James.Cummings@uea.ac.uk

--
James Cummings, James.Cummings@uea.ac.uk, http://www.uea.ac.uk/~q503
Cursus Project, School of Music, University of East Anglia,