Best way to include code samples

I suppose this is half an XML question, but since it's being processed
through XSLT I suppose it's fair game.

I have an XML file that includes code snippets and samples, that are
themselves in XML, either of the same DTD or another DTD.  The destined
output is XHTML or Text.  In the XHTML, I'd like the code snippets passed
through and entity-ified (if there is such a word), so that when viewed in a
web browser the output looks like "<html>" (meaning lots of &gt; and &lt;).
In the text output, I'd just like it passed through directly.  In both cases
I want to maintain the current formatting as much as possible.

Would wrapping these snippets in CDATA sections be sufficent?  Will that
result in adequate conversion of the tags into output that looks like tags?
What changes will I need in my XSLT scripts then to make sure it processes
those correctly?  Or is there a better method?

Thanks in advance.

--Larry Garfield