RE: Re: Microsoft XML

>protocols for the Internet at large. XLink has been a standard for a
while
>now, but, as you point out, Microsoft is working on "an improved
version".

That's completely untrue.  Let me put it more simply:

1) Microsoft fully implements XML 1.0, XSLT 1.0 (and XPath).  If you
feel there are conformance bugs in these implementations, please let us
know, because our goal is to be 100% conforming.

2) Microsoft hasn't implemented XLink/XPointer yet.  Microsoft has no
plans to change or reinvent either recommendation.

3) It is not interesting to talk about Microsoft's "long and sordid"
past, social theory, or every spec that was ever invented.  And it is
off-topic for this list.  There are plenty of other "advocacy" lists
where people pontificate about those things.  Items #1 and #2 above are
facts, and are directly related to the comments in the O'Reilly book.