Encoding issue

Hello,

I'm running an application that reads from a text file to generate an
XML document which is then transformed into another XML document, using
MSXML 3.0.  As the input file is processed, the first XML document is
generated dynamically, then it is transformed into a new document with a
stylesheet.  The result is then saved to a text file using the "save"
method of the DOMDocument object.

When I look at the resulting document, I get different results with
different applications:

In Notepad, a line shows up like this:
	<value><![CDATA[ sustainable consumption by Gábor
Náray-Szabó]]></value>

However, in Visual Interdev, the accented characters are displayed as
gibberish:
	<value><![CDATA[ sustainable consumption by Gábor Náray-Szabó
]]></value>

When I use another application to transform this document, an error
occurs because the line in question contains invalid characters, and the
"parseerror.srcText" method displays "sustainable consumption by G?bor
N?ray-Szab?".

I'm fairly certain that this is an encoding issue, but I'm not sure
where I should go from here.  All of the stylesheets for my
transformations use the default encoding method.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason