xslt and edi question

I am a software developer working for a business to business exchange.
We are working on integrating our trading partners to the exchange using
Commerce One's xCBL XML. To do this we also need to convert data from
the format used by our trading partners (OAG, EDI, flat files, etc).

XSLT appears to be a good solution for this challenge. A good portion of
my work will include converting EDI documents to xCBL. I have also seen
mappings of EDI formats to xCBL and OAG. I also currently have to
translate a flat file (with delimiters) to xCBL. I realize I have more
work going from non-XML data fields, however I'm assuming this can be
done.

Is my assumption correct, that non-XML "data" documents can be converted
using XSLT. Any clarification, or additional advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks for your time and consideration. I am also subscribing to
Mulberry's user group, to post this there. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Allen Kuhn
akuhn@enporion.com <mailto:akuhn@enporion.com>