RE: Special Characters for Position Sepcific Output.

> Sample ouput in normal case is
> *Steve                    *
>
> In case of input like <firstname>St&amp;eve</firstname>,
> output will be
> *St&amp;eve                   *
> 	which exceeds 25 characters.
>
> Please let me know, how can I handle this condition in XSL.

"&amp;" is one XML character, even though it is serialized using 5 ASCII
characters. You can't control how the XML character is serialized; the above
string might equally have been output as

 <![CDATA[*St&eve                   *]]>

And if you're outputting XML, why should you want a fixed length?

Usually people wanting fixed-format output are generating text, with
<xsl:output method="text">, in which case special characters like "&" will
not be escaped.

Mike Kay
Software AG