Re: XSL-FO

> but which I -am- interested in - just what is the overlap? Or is there a
> document you can point me at?

The XSL FO spec. Every property in XSL FO is explicitly cross referenced
to the corresponding CSS property if one corresponds.

Basically CSS and FO are supposed to be converging on teh same
underlying formatting model, so even for those properties that are in FO
and not in CSS you might expect to see them in CSS n for some n > 2.

> How do you handle display properties with XSLT? I think I'm missing something
> here...

You don't. XSLT justtransforms one XML language to another, it takes no
note about what the elements and attributes mean, so has no concept of
display properties.

If you are using XSLT to transform to HTML then probably its best to
handle display properites by writing class attributes to the HTML
and then doing the display in CSS (perhaps also generated by the XSLT)
this was my first answer on this thread.

If you are using XSLT to produce FO you just use the attributes supplied
in FO.

Many people transform to LaTeX or rtf to produce PDF.

In other words, display properties are a feature of the target language,
not of the transformation language, so not of XSLT.

David