xhtml xslt file: populating javascript array with data from xml file?

i have a javascript in a CDATA element inside my xhtml
xslt file...i want to populate an array in the
javascript from values in my xsl file...

however, if I put my javascript inside CDATA, then it
won't get parsed.

this xml will be used for a quiz:

<question id="1" answer="2">
What time is it?
  <choice id="1">a) daytime</answer>
  <choice id="2">b) nighttime</answer>
  <explanation>answer is "b" because it is dark
outside.</explanation>
</question>

my javascript in the xsl file will need to grab from
the above xml nodes and define variables.

any ideas on how i can set the variables/arrays in my
javascript with data from my xml file?

=====
--
Anthony E.