Re: How to gain efficience using Muenchian method sorted on a computed value

Hi Sun-fu,

> So My question is this : will the following two step approach gain
> some efficiency what are the possible disadvantages included?

I think you'll probably gain efficiency and simplicity from using a
two-step approach, but with any efficiency question, the answer has to
be "try it and see" - so much depends on your data, processor and so
on that it's impossible to give absolute answers.

> 2.3 When using key function to get the related data of each piece of
> unique data, the original document to derive unique data has to be
> recalled.

Rather than doing that, when you create the intermediate node set,
include within it all the information that you need to get, in a way
that makes it easy to get.  In other words, make the first
transformation give you all the information that you need in a way
that makes the second transformation easy to achieve.

> Why do use <for-each select="/"> and define $thisPP for recalling
> process? I have puzzled quite a while , even I keep on get desired
> solutions.

When you use xsl:for-each to select a single node, you're just doing
it to change the current node. When you're using keys, you need to do
that because the key() function only searches for keyed nodes within
the document that the current node is in.  You need to do the same
kind of thing for the id() and unparsed-entity-uri() functions, but
these are hardly used so people don't tend to come up against it.

I hope that helps,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison