encoding problem

Hi!

I have a problem concerning the encoding of the involved documents. The
story is this:

 - I have a simple web form, and the results are collected in a simple
   XML file "result.xml":

     <entry time='991146682'>
       <name>Joe User</name>
       <email>juser@some.where</email>
     </entry>

     <entry time='...'>
     </entry>

   and so on.

 - To process this file with XSLT, I wrap it into a dedicated top element:

     <!DOCTYPE results [
       <!ENTITY formresult SYSTEM "result.xml">
     ]>

     <results>
       &formresult;
     </results>

   and use a style sheet that iterates over all "entry" children of the
   "results" node.

The result file contains Latin 1 characters, at least I'm pretty sure it
is Latin 1 and not something else. When I process the file, I get errors

   results.xsl:15: error: Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
      <projects>Einf|hrung in die Bioinformatik
                    ^
   results.xsl:15: error: Bytes: 0xFC 0x68 0x72 0x75
      <projects>Einf|hrung in die Bioinformatik
                    ^

with xsltproc (from libxslt) and just

   XSLT Error (java.lang.InternalError): null

with Xalan. When I replace the entity in the wrapper file with the actual
content of the file, both processors accept the file and process the style
sheet.

Any explanation what is going wrong and any help on how to solve this
problem are appreciated.

--
 Joern Clausen                                joern@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
 Faculty of Technology           http://www.TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE/~joern/