xsl optimization

Hi !

Is there any possibility for optimizing an XSL ?

I mean I work on a project right now and I count how much time it takes to
parse an XML with an XSL through Java. Well in an old version it took way
too much, while in a new version (with a new XSL) it works faster.

So I want to know if the word "optimization" can be applied to XSL
programming.
If yes, anybody can tell me what are the principles for optimizing an XSL.

Thank you in advance,
Gabriel Erzse