Re: nested templates?

> The above seems to be illegal, though I can't think of a good reason why.

It is clearly illegal, what would you want it to mean?
I suspect that xsl:template does not operate the way you imagine.

> is it possible to construct an xslt stylesheet that is more similar to a
> "complete" page, i.e. with nested templates:

It is possible to design a "complete page" this is what is sometimes
called the pull method, in fact if you are doing that, you don't need
any xsl;template instructions at all, see the XSLT spec for an example
(or the FAQ for this list).

> (btw, this is not syntactically complete, but you get the idea :)

No, I can't imagine what the idea is! I think you are trying to
do something like xsl:for-each but with an illegal use of xsl:template.
It would be clearer if you said what you wanted to happen rather than
posting some code you know to be wrong and then asking us to guess
what you want it to do!

David