XSL tree explanation

Good morning,

I am trying to grasp the tree concept underlying the xsl transformation
process.

I understand that the source document, say XML, is the source tree -
root node, child nodes, and all.

What I don't understand is how the stylesheet itself is considered the
instruction tree(?) besides the fact that through numerous declarations
and instructions does a well formed, and I guess you would say TREE structured
document call itself an XSL file.

Also, I believe the xslt processor stores the source document in memory
until the transformation takes place, but what about the RESULT tree?
Is that the output file(ie the resulting HTML file) or is there an actual
RESULT tree outputted/stored during the transformation?

The last one is probably why I'm missing the thinking behind <xsl:copy>
and node-sets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin