Random indexing into a comma seperated list

I have a tag in deep in my XML that holds a comma (or space or
semicolon ...) separated list of tokens:

<tag>1,2,$19.95,4,five</tag>

I have pulled this tag into a variable Tag:

<xsl:variable name="List" select="?path to Tag?"/>

With another node elsewhere in the hierarchy as the context
node, I need to iterate n times indexing into $List. However
on each iteration I may need, in various places, multiple references
to $List[$i], $List[$i-1] or $List[$i+1]. This is different than
making one pass through each token in $List. How would you
orchestrate this so the loop logic does not overwhelm the body
logic? I am looking for general techniques which make as few
assumptions as possible as even this description is a simplification
of my task.

Regards,

Dan