Find position among siblings {Re: Applying template conditionally}

Very much appreciate for the effort you are putting in
although it was not what I was asking for originally.
I think I thoroughly confused you by now and I really
didn't meant it :(  Sorry :(

I think instead trying to describe the entire problem
and try to find the most elegent way to resolve it, I
will stick with a small key problem that can help
implement one of the solution I am considering.

The key problem I have is: how to find the position of
an element among its siblings?  I have a node-set
variable declared like:
<xsl:variable name="LineItemHeader"
select="book/sheet/range/row[cell[1] = 'LineItemName'
or substring(cell[1], 2) = 'LineItemName']"/>

And I want to find its location among all the row
elements, how should I do it?

Much thanks,
Xiaocun