Error declaring doctype in msxml

Hi,
i'm completely new to this list and quite new to xsl, so bear with me if the
answer to this question appears to be too obvious.

I want to have a doctype in my stylesheet so that i can declare entities.
I've seen this done in this DaveP faq here:
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/N2281.html#N18533
and here:
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/N1000.html

(in an example at about one third of the page from the top)

I copied from the latter page this part of the declaration on the top of my
stylesheet:

<!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [
  <!ENTITY sp "<xsl:text> </xsl:text>">
  <!ENTITY dot "<xsl:text>.</xsl:text>">
  <!ENTITY nl "&#10;">
]>
                 version="1.0"
  <xsl:output method="html"/>
  <xsl:template match="/">

  {other-valid-xsl-goes-here...}

  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

But when i feed this to MSXML to transform some xml, the parser complains
that there's a:

"Reference to undeclared namespace prefix: 'xsl' at line 1"

Can anyone help me understand what i'm doing wrong ? Or is this a MSXML only
behaviour ?

Thanks for your time,
Ugo R.