Re: preceding-sibling

 I can't make it work ... and I don't understand why.

] <xsl:when
] test="@type='{preceding-sibling::element[position()=1]/@type}ValueMap'">
] This is exactly what I'm tryin to do.

The test attribute of xsl:when takes an XPath expression.
Xpath expression's _never_ use the {} syntax. {} are used to _include_
an XPath expression in attributes that take Attribute Value Templates.

Also you've placed the whole thing in quotes so you are just testing the
type attribute against the literal string.

So probably you want

<xsl:when
test="@type=concat(preceding-sibling::element[1]/@type,'ValueMap')">

David