Re: Performance problem on Oracle

At 10:38 25/01/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Please send me your XML output and XSLT stylesheet
>testcase so I can make sure it's not something
>pathological in your stylesheet that is making our
>XSLT processor slower than you'd like.

Thank you for this offer, but it is simply so huge I cannot give you
everything (the DTD files only are near 50). However, I can give you the
main XSL stylesheet, so you can have a look, but it won't run by itself. If
you want, I can give you a "necessary package", but I don't want to bother you.

Actually, it takes near 5 seconds, and as we are using it in a local
environment, redirecting it directly to a web server, it looks like infinity.

>I find many user's reports of slow stylesheets occur
>on large documents because they accidentally use
>patterns like "//foo" when they mean ".//foo" and
>other little "gotchas" whose performance implications
>are amplified on large document sizes.

I chased most of them. However, one of my problems is that I need such
construct to isolate an element. Does thing like :
/*/firstlevel//myelt are better than //myelt ? (the * is here since I have
several DTDs, so different root elements)

>Please include in your email whether you're trying
>to run this on the Java VM *inside* the database or outside,
>and if outside, please indicate platform and JVM your running
>since performance varies widely by JVM implementation as
>Mike Kay and others have reported here before.

It is perfectly true that I execute it in Oracle 8i. In command line, it
seems faster, which is unatural to me, as in our java code, the DTD as well
as the XSL stylesheet are "pre-parsed" in DOM objects.

>Probably a dumb question, but are you counting only the
>transform time, or also the time it takes to produce the
>XML from the query?

Here is a log from the java execution (in ms) :
DEBUT getHtmlFromXml
DEBUT connection base ...: 4
DEBUT connection base OK: 6
XML File obtained...: 18
XML File parsed...: 2452
Before XSLT transform...: 2478
After XSLT transform...: 3711

(DEBUT means beginning)

It seems the parsing take some time. Perhaps the java code would help you ?

Thanks in any case for your attention.

--
Paul TERRAY - Ingénieur Systèmes Documentaires
4Dconcept