RE: lists

> > I can't think of an XSLT way of doing this.
>
> There's probably an XSLT way, once you specify the transform that
> you wish to use.
>
> For example I think that the following meets the requirements
> as stated.
>
> <xsl:template match="list"/>
>
> ie the suggested input would be transformed to something that
> validated
> against  the suggested DTD.

OK. I would like not to lose content, nor change source document
sequence, I.e. not lose content sequence.
My source actually reads.

<varlistentry><term>Node type</term>
<listitem><para>Node type specifies what kind of nodes to match. If the
value is a name or the argument is omitted, the type is assumed to
be an element. For all other types, you need to use a keyword:</para>

  <variablelist>
  <listitem><para>Matches contiguous strings of character
data</para></listitem>
</varlistentry>

</varlistentry>

</varlistentry>

</varlistentry>

</varlistentry>
</variablelist>

any node, whether it is an element, positive integer, comment, or text
string. The term <literal>descendant(1,*)</literal> matches any element, and
<literal>descendant(1,buttercup)</literal> matches any element of
</varlistentry>

I.e. the variablelist's are nested, with content inside varlistentry
prior to the start of the new variablelist.

The dirty solution is to close of the listitem in the output,
with </listitem> after the initial content,
insert the new <list></list>
then continue with the <listitem> in the output.

thats a 'dirty' (non xslt approach).

Regards DaveP