qname + uri

In a testing application I'm writing, I have a need to
1.validate  a given ID value as being a valid qname.

I had hoped that I could do a quick excursion to java and
use the stuff that saxon/xt use, but they appear to need objects
rather than strings. Is it a viable option? Given a large file,
it would certainly be quicker than a recursive 'contains()' check.

2. I also need to validate a uri + fragment as being valid.
Guessing its going to be more tricky than at first appears,
is this possible by the same approach please?

Any assistance from those more familiar with the java interface than
I would be appreciated.

Ideally a single string parameter, with a boolen return value.

Can it be done?

TIA, DaveP