NEWBIE: Instant Saxon and Unicode Entity problem

Hi,

I'm using XSL and Instant Saxon 5.5.1 to transform XML to XML.

I've run into a problem where the unicode character entities are being
stripped.

Input:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<text>
The Score can be used to control all of the following sprite characteristics
EXCEPT&hellip;
</text>

(Snip) Stylesheet:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:saxon="http://icl.com/saxon" extension-element-prefixes="saxon">
	<xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" indent="yes"/>
	<xsl:template match="text">
		<text>
			<xsl:value-of select="."/>
		</text>
	</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Output:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<text>
The Score can be used to control all of the following sprite characteristics
EXCEPT¿
</text>

And to add to the situation, I have two separate pools of XML input, one
with ascii-us, the other with utf-8.

If I am missing something very elementary, would you please provide me with
a url or expert advice ;^) ?

Thanks in advance,
Graham