RE: Cocoon ignoring xsl:output?

I have not used Cocoon to produce XML, however when using it to produce HTML
we have used the convention of including the following in the XSLT, at the
top level of the stylesheet:

<xsl:processing-instruction
name="cocoon-format">type="text/html"</xsl:processing-instruction>

I do not know for certain that this will work, but perhaps you might like
try the above with type= "text/xml" to see if that makes a difference.