RE: What does 'reverse document order' mean?

> I've been working on a style sheet for rendering CALS-style tables as
> HTML, and hit a problem with the preceding-sibling:: axis.  My
> assumption was that, since preceding-sibling:: selects siblings in
> 'reverse document order', the first node in the set would be the one
> immediately preceding the current node.

The axis is in reverse order: which means that within a predicate associated
with this axis, [1] means the immediately preceding sibling.

But the result of the XPath expression as a whole is an unordered node-set;
and the default ordering when you process it using xsl:apply-templates or
xsl:for-each is in document order, just as with any other node-set;
similarly if you convert it to a string, you get the value of the first node
in document order.

Mike Kay