Re: XSL-FO side-region's border question

Shinyu,

> i rewrite my first example using border-right instead of border-end:
>
>  <fo:simple-page-master master-name="page-with-side-region">
>   <fo:region-body margin="2cm"/>
>   <fo:region-start extent="2cm" reference-orientation="90"
>    border-right="thin solid blue"/>
>  </fo:simple-page-master>
>
> my question is: the reference-orientation="90" rotates
>   only the side region's content,
> or
>   both the content and the border ?

Judging from the spec, I presume that the authors meant rotating only the
content of the side region. Paragraph 7.18.3. "reference-orientation" of the XSL
WD reads:

WD> The reference-orientation specifies the direction for "top"
WD> for the content-rectangle of the "reference-area".

Nothing is said about rotating padding-rectangle or border-rectangle; therefore
I presume they should be left unrotated.

> if the latter is correct, i have to use border-bottom instead of border-right.

My interpretation is that the former is correct. However, I think this point
deserves explicitation in the spec.

One more delicate issue: what about background-images? How should they be
oriented if reference-orientation is not zero? How backgound-repeat should
behave - which axis is X and which is Y? Which direction corresponds to
background-position-vertical? I have found a place in the spec that seems
relevant, inside the definition of "background-position-vertical" [7.6.6.]:

WD> Specifies that the top-edge of the image shall be placed
WD> at the specified length below the top-edge of the padding-rectangle.

I deduce that the top-edge of the image is parallel to the top-edge of the
padding-rectangle (and therefore left unrotated); but this means that the image
will be rotated with respect to the contents itunderlines. Is it what the
authors meant? This choice is important, as there are no provisions in the draft
to rotate/size/scale a background image: once we choose one orientation, there
will be no way to override it.

Best regards,
Nikolai