Indirection

Scenario.
 I'm building a topic map, within which each 'topic' element
is a small, self contained element, with an id.

<topic id="cara" types="wife mother">
</topic>

The Associations between topics is done on a cross-reference basis.
(Basically says this association is between this topic and that topic).

<assoc type="is-married-to">
<assocrl anchrole="husband">george</assocrl>
<assocrl anchrole="wife">cara</assocrl>
</assoc>

Again, theoretically, id idref values would be ideal.

However. The actual topics I'm generating with xSLT, using
generate-id(), but the associations I'm generating manually.

this could leave me with an example like

<assoc type="is-married-to">
<assocrl anchrole="husband">N1234</assocrl>
<assocrl anchrole="wife">N1365</assocrl>
</assoc>

which is prone to being screwed if, when I next generate the id values
for the topics, XT or Saxon note that I've inserted another topic
between the two.

What I want is a method of providing an indirect link, so that N1234
refers to X, X then refers to a varying id value generated by the XSLT.

Any suggestions please anyone?
 The only ideas I've had are too fragile to be worth bothering with.
Regards DaveP