Output HTML as Content of XML Elements

Imagine the following context:

There is an XML file  whch already contains HTML markup.
I want the HTML markup to be passed undamaged through an XSL transformation
and to be output in the final HTML document:

We XML/XSL process the data as follows:
1. transformation:
XSLT of source XML file (= database content), add HTML markup during this
first transformation,  output to a target interim XML file (including the
HTML markup), which looks eg. like this:

<books>
  <shorttitle>Shakespeare, William: Hamlet</shorttitle>
  <promotion_text>bla bla. Our most recent publication on
<B>Hamlet</B>.</promotion_text>
</books>

2. transformation:
XSLT of previous target XML to HTML output file: and here we need the Markup
created during the first transformation.

Problem.
During the second transformation the markup is stripped from the XML output.
So the resulting HTML file does not include any markup, which is NOT my
intention. I tried to use namespaces and the result-ns attribut but without
success. Perhaps I did it the wrong way?

Thanks, for any ideas.
Barbara Sellmer-Bruels
Berlin