Certain chars break transformation process. Guru wanted!

Hi all,

Where have I gone wrong?  Whenever I try to perform an XSLT transformation
on an XML file which has the registered symbol (®), the XSLT programes read
the symbol as two characters (Â and ®) which are adjacent and output this
character: «  .  I'm not sure if these characters I've posted will display
properly, but suffice it to say that the problem is that transforming an XML
doc which has the registered symbol ends up outputting different characters.
    Is there any way to avoid this?

Thanks,
Steve