Re: Need some help with an expression...

Hi Charles,
If I understand what you are asking correctly then this should work:
     <xsl:value-of
     select="/box/category[@name='someType']/header[self/instance='9']/ref"/>

HTH,

Michal

Charles Douthart <charles.douthart@Trifolium.com> on 08/22/2000 01:11:39 PM

Please respond to xsl-list@mulberrytech.com

To:   xsl-list@mulberrytech.com
cc:    (bcc: Michal Mart)

Subject:  Need some help with an expression...

Hello,
 I'm fairly new to XPath and hope that you all can help me with a
problem.

Given an XML structure like the following:

<box>
   <category name="someType">
      <header>
        <self>
           <host>myhost</host>
           <instance>9</instance>
        </self>
       <ref>
          <host>thathost</host>
          <instance>1010101</instance>
       </ref>
</header>

And the value of the header instance is 9 (passed from a web page to a
servlet)

What expression can I use to get the ref elemenent under the same header
parent? I undserstand enough to produce
/box/category[@name='someType']/header, but I'm stumped as to how I
should proceed from there.  I need to test the value of /self/instance
to find the matching element and then get the ref sibling of the same
header ancestor of the matching element.

TIA,