XML querying question

Hi everyone.  have a new dilemna. Given a static XML document which is pure
data, how can I render only a subset of the XML thru a stylesheet, given
that the parameters of which nodes to show are selected by the user on an
input form....Is this an XSLT thing, but how can I write a dynamic
<xsl:choose>

Thanks as always.
-MC