checking for existence of a file?

Is it possible to have my XSL check for the existence of a
[directory]\filename and only apply a particular template (or portion of it)
if the file exists?  (I want to check for the existence of the file for my
hyperlinks and only create the link if the file is actually there.)  Thanks
much.  Eric  : )