MSXML calling external object

Not sure if this is possible yet, although I am hoping it is.
Using MSXML 3.0 May parser.

I have a line of XSL that gets a value from my XML and it is a integer
value. This value maps to a name in the database and I want to call out from
my XSL to get this name. I guess I would simply call a COM or SOAP interface
and it should return the string - that's all simple stuff - just not sure
hwo to make the extern call.

Is this currently possible and any example on how I could implement this?

thanks -
Steven