Re: White Space and Printing

Ken,

> I have an XSL form that has a fold line in it, 3.25" down from the top margin.
> This is to keep the address separate from the text, so that it can be folded
> over, put in a window envelope, and mailed.
>
> Is there any sort of <fo:block> attribute where I can specify how far down the
> page said block will print?  I thought initially that space-before.optimum
would
> be it.

By space-before, you can only control the distance from the preceding block,
rather than from the top of page. To position a block exactly within the page,
you can do one of the following:

1) Define a page header 3.25" high, and write your address there. The top edge
of the body region (or, alternatively, the bottom edge of the header region)
acts as a fold line, and the rest of the text will flow below it:

<fo:simple-page-master>
    <fo:region-body margin="1in" margin-top="3.25in"
                   border-top="thin dashed gray" padding-top="6pt"/>
    <fo:region-before extent="3.25in" padding="6pt 1in"/>
</fo:simple-page-master>

2) Use an absolutely positioned block-container.

> I'm working from a Xerxes/Xalan parser setup.

You should better specify which XSL FO formatter you are using. There are too
many discrepancies between different formatters; and all of them support
different subsets of different XSL FO drafts. Neither Xerces nor Xalan support
XSL FO directly - i.e. they can only produce it, but have no means to view/print
it.

Regards,

Nikolai Grigoriev
RenderX