Passing thru numerical character ref

I guess this is an obscure variant of a boring FAQ, but I'm
stumped:

I have this in the xml:

Aristotle used ΰλη to mean matter,

which xalan is outputting into html as

Aristotle actually used ?λη to mean matter,

I'm assuming that ? is there because there's no html entity
defined for code point &#x3b0. But the glyph is in the display
font I'm using, and if I use ΰλη in an html
document I create manually, I get the display I want in the
browser.

So, how do I get that ΰ through into the html? I tried

Aristotle used <![CDATA[&#x3b0;]]>&#x3bb;&#x3b7; to mean matter,

but that gives me

Aristotle used &amp;#x3b0;&lambda;&eta to mean matter,

BTW I know that upsilon-diaresis-accent isn't the form A. used,
but I'll worry about that later, once I can see it in my output.

Anybody?

Michael
-------
Michael Beddow