RE: East-Asian Output encoding with XSLT?

> I am trying to use XSLT to publish resources for different East-Asian
> countries. I would like to produce local encodings in Big5
> and GBK, possible also Shift JIS. I tried XT and SAXON so far, but they
did not
> seem to act as desired upon the statement that defined the output
encoding.

There are two things needed to support a new output encoding in Saxon.
(a) the encoding must be supported by the Java runtime. (This gives me
problems, because I haven't found a way of asking the Java runtime which
encodings it supports: the only thing I can do is try it, and catch the
exception. Anyone know a workaround?)
(b) there needs to be a subclass of com.icl.saxon.output.CharacterSet for
the encoding. This simply defines which Unicode characters can be
represented in the encoding. At present it's not possible to introduce a new
CharacterSet without source change, but the change is trivial.

Mike Kay