RE: Space at start of result.

> As far as why is concerned, SAXON puts a blank line at the
> beginning of its output when it does not output an XML Declaration.  It
> doesn't output an XML Declaration if the output method if HTML.

Deducing the spec from an empirically observed behaviour is always likely to
give slightly wrong answers! I think what actually happens is that the blank
line is output if indent="yes", which is the default if the output method is
(explicitly or implicitly) HTML. I think I can change it easily enough to
avoid this blank line, though I agree with the view that it's not the cause
of the problem.

I would check that the MIME type in the servlet response is being set
correctly. As far as I can tell, Netscape takes the MIME type quite
seriously, but IE semes a bit inclined to second-guess the correct type from
the contents of the file, for example I've tried and failed in the past to
get it to display HTML examples as text, except by escaping all the angle
brackets. (Which is the opposite of your problem!)

Mike Kay