xsl:text output literal text

Aim:
----

* Contained in my xsl file I have a slab of text
    marked-up using tags
*  This is so that I can perform some other xsl
     conditions on these paragraphs to determine
     which of these paragraphs will be included in
     the resulting  .xml file
*  I simply want this text to appear in the result
     tree. I am using <xsl:text> to achieve this
     however have experienced some errors.

1: TEST.XSL
----------

<xsl:template match='/'>
    <xsl:text><para></xsl:text>
         <xsl:text>A block of text</xsl:text>
    <xsl:text></para></xsl:text>
</xsl:template>

RESULT
-----------
Error preparing style sheet
"</para>" expected

2: TEST.XSL
----------

<xsl:template match='/'>
    <xsl:text/><para>
         <xsl:text>A block of text</xsl:text>
    <para><xsl:text/>
</xsl:template>

RESULT
-------
null

3:TEST.XSL
----------

<xsl:template match='/'>
    <xsl:text><para>
        <xsl:text>A block of text</xsl:text>
    <para></xsl:text>
</xsl:template>

RESULT
-------
xsl:text must not have any child elements

DEFINITION.XML

* Contains DTD and source tree

Any suggestions or advice would be warmly welcomed.

Best Regards
Rhonda