Web Front Page using XSLT

This is actually something I received from a friend of mine - I don't use
XSLT, so I hope someone here can answer (the question was asked in
reference to using AxKit, but it should apply to any XSLT transformation
tool):

One of the things that I've yet to figure out with XSLT is how it
pulls together multiple XML instances, such as a front page of an ETP
site.  The front page is implemented as a "template" (an XSLT
stylesheet, I'd expect in AxKit), within that it contains the "N most
recent articles marked as being on the front-page".  It's that last
part that gives me loops, is that something that has to be done in
Perl, the selection and "handing off" of current articles to the XSLT
transform?