Re: xsl:import xsl:include

> you can not dynamically decide what to import

Correct.

> Ideally I would like to be able to say something like <xsl:import
> href="{$href}"/>
>
> It seems a rather large oversight to not include something like this.  Am I
> missing some mechanism that provides this functionality?  Anyone know if
> there are plans to include it in future recommendations?

You are not missing anything. I sure hope there are plans to include it in
future recommendations. It would really be nice. The only people who know
about future plans are James Clark and the people on the W3C committee in
charge of XSLT.

I am going to venture a guess that it was left out because it is a bigger
issue than it would seem. The current model allows the stylesheet tree to
be built before XSLT processing really begins. Making imports/includes be
based on the result of evaluation of top-level xsl:variable or xsl:param
instructions would change this.

Also consider that by definition, xsl:import and xsl:include import all
the children of the xsl:stylesheet element from the documents they
reference and add them as children of the xsl:stylesheet element of the
stylesheet tree. You could potentially import something that changes the
value of the expression in your href attribute.

   - Mike