Followup question about transforming node location

As a long Easter weekend delayed my response to Mike's
helpful reply, I am reposting my followup question:

Mike,

Thanks for your help! I think I now have a better
understanding of when to use copy, copy-of and
apply-templates.

I was wondering if you might be able to provide some
additional guidance. I am trying to do a
transformation (slightly different from the one
described in my previous post) by renaming a node and
its children and moving this newly named node to a
particular location in the output. I know the element
that will precede the intended output location, but
the elements before this element can vary. The
following XSL (I modified slightly the XSL you
provided) renames and moves the node as desired, but I
am looking to change the <xsl:copy-of select="tag2"/>
to something more generic, so that I can copy
everything (except tag1) as is and then once I have
copied tag2 to the output, tag1 will be transformed
through a template. The copying will then resume
generically for the rest of the document, as the
subsequent elements may vary.

<xsl:template match="document">
<xsl:copy>
  <xsl:copy-of select="tag2"/>
  <xsl:apply-templates select="tag1"/>
  <xsl:copy-of select="tag3"/>
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="tag1">
<newtag1><xsl:apply-templates/></newtag1>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="element1">
<newelement1><xsl:apply-templates/></newelement1>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="element2">
<newelement2><xsl:apply-templates/></newelement2>
</xsl:template>

I would like to take this input:
<document>
   <tag1>