Re: XML/XSL...

At 00/04/19 15:56 -0400, Jagadha Sivan wrote:
>Hi!!

Welcome!

>I think I have a fairly simple question, I guess..
>I have a client-server setup. The client gets an XML document in format1.
>The server understands only format2. So, I need to convert format1 to
>format2
>I understand that this can be done using XSL.

XSLT, actually: XSL Transformations ... currently XSLT 1.0 1999-11-19

>But I am unaware of any
>software that would take an XML & an XSL document & perform the conversion.

There are a number of tools listed at http://www.xmlsoftware.com/xslt/ ...
a number of which are documented for use as servlets.

Your situation, though, appears to be slightly reversed in that you have a
server application *receiving* an XML file from a client, not *delivering*
to the client the result of transforming XML on the server.  I gather,
then, your server application understands only one XML vocabulary and in
order for it to read your client's arbitrary vocabulary you need to
translate it.

Some XSLT processor writers have released their source code.  You can
front-end an application with an XSLT processor and have the application
deal with the results of transformation without incurring the overhead of
serializing the result tree into hard syntax and re-parsing that hard
syntax into either a DOM tree or SAX events.  Check the tools for how you
can deliver the result tree as either a DOM tree or a set of SAX events to
some post-process (which in your case is the application).

You will need to write a stylesheet for each XML vocabulary on your client
you want to translate to the XML vocabulary on your server.

Without prejudice to other processors, you might consider looking at XT,
Saxon, Xalan or LotusXSL ... I'm not familiar with all of the available
processors to know which others might supply source code, nor even if all
of the above give you the flexibility you seek on the processing of the
result tree.

The processor suppliers subscribe to this list ... perhaps they can post
the flexibility they provide for applications to receive the content of the
result tree.

I hope this helps.

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com