RE: Special characters in comments

> > I have a feeling Microsoft's XML parser auto-detects
> > iso-8859-1 encoding. I suspect this contravenes the XML specification,
though it is
> > a very handy feature.
>
> We don't do any auto-detection of encodings.

I apologize for the misinformation. I now have no explanation for a
phenomenon I observed a few weeks ago where a stylesheet that worked under
MSXML needed to have encoding="iso-8859-1" added to make it work under Saxon
or xt. I'll see if I can recreate the circumstances.

Incidentally, Håkan sent me the stylesheet that was causing him problems and
it was indeed due to the absence of an xml declaration in an iso-8859-1
encoded stylesheet.

Mike Kay